What is Property Management System?
PMS or Property Management System is a software to manage all hotel operations. In other words, the PMS lies at the heart of hotels, collects information, and coordinates operations from booking, check-in and check-out, housekeeping, maintenance, billing, payments, and more. In today’s world, PMS is not just a tool to manage hotel operations but to deliver a better guest experience.
Currently, there are two popular types: On-premises PMS and Cloud PMS.
On-premises or server-based PMS stores limited data in the local hotel. You will need an IT department to operate, maintain and upgrade the system. Besides, you will need to invest in workstations, data centers, and backup storage.
A cloud-based PMS uses cloud computing. The software can be accessed anytime, from any device that is connecting to the Internet. Cloud-based PMS has lower capital costs, while it’s easier to run, upgrade, and backup.
The main functions of a PMS
In general, a PMS includes the following functions and features:
- Reservation management
- Night audit
- Housekeeping management
- Distribution channel management
- Revenue management
- Guest profile management
- Business reports and analyses
- Allotment management
- Maintenance management
- Point of sales
Why you need a PMS
Undoubtedly, emerging technologies impact everyone. Guests are now expecting more from hotels. Thus, a hotel must provide a smooth personal guest experience or even exceed their expectation to win their royalty. Traditional management will not get you far in this area, and having a PMS is the first step. A cloud hotel management system would bring you better benefits in the long run:
- Secured information and real-time updates
- Lower operation costs and easy to manage tasks
- Minimize human mistakes
- Know your guests better with a 360-degree guest profile feature
- Take no time to set up rate plans and distribute across channels
- Comprehensive business reports with real-time data
Before choosing your PMS
Picking a PMS vendor depends on your operational scope and needs. Note down what you are looking for and answer the following questions:
- What kind of features does the software cover? Do they resolve your problems?
- How much does it cost? Any hidden cost?
- Is the software easy to use and mobile-friendly?
- Does the system comply with security standards?
- Does the supplier provide comprehensive customer support service?
Choosing the right PMS is critical as it can make or break your hotel operations. If you are looking for one, contact us to get a free consultation.